Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chiang Mai Trip 2013

It took me so long to update on my Trip to Chiangmai >.< 
I went for a 5 days and 4 night trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand. 
The journey begins with checking in and dropping luggage at LCCT Kuala Lumpur. Went there by Air Asia with 20 family members. 

Chiang Mai is located in the Northen Thailand, being the fifth-largest city in Thailand. 
Basically Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountains and countryside, so it is much greener and quieter compare to Bangkok. When I reached Chiang Mai international airport, I was relieved as Thai is not experiencing haze. Everything is clean and just nice. The worst is that it was raining when I landed in Chiang Mai. hahahaha... Rain is coming all the way from Malaysia~~~ 

The interesting fact about Chiang Mai , is that you can get around the city of Chiang Mai by using the songthaew~ Songthaew is a covered pick-up trucks that have 2 long bench seats in the back. I took Songthaew to Tesco Lotus at night with price of 20 baht per head ~ Quite cheap and reasonable. 
Most of the songthaew are red in color.


                                               That's songthaew!!! 
Besides songthaew, we also get around with the tuk-tuk. Tuk-tuk is quite special for me ~ The price are quite reasonable also. Around 20 baht for a short hop to the Chinatown   @ Kad Luang market from the Imperial Mae Ping hotel. 

                                                      (TUK-TUK)

The place that I find interesting and is worth for a visit is :
1) Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep 
Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep is located 18 km away from the town on the slopes of Doi (Mount) Suthep. It was build on 1383 during the Lanna Thai period. A legend has said that the temple site was selected by an elephant sent to roam the mountain side and upon reaching a suitable spot, it trumpeted and circled three times, knelt down and eventually died which was interpreted as a sign indicating an auspicious site. You can see the views over the city. One more interesting fact that I find about this temple is that you must accent the 300 plus steps of the Naga-Lined stairs. 



                                        (Flowers that we used for praying purposes)


I also walk around the courtyard for 7 times as they believe that your wish will be granted if you walk around the courtyard for 7 rounds. After that I also got a white bracelet from the monk in the temple. The weather on top of the hill is refreshing~ Somehow like weather in Genting Highlands Malaysia~ I quite like it~ 



                                           (Pictures of me in the temple) 


2) Mae Sa Elephant Camp 
Riding an elephant is a must when you are visiting Thailand. Mae Sa Elephant Camp is an elephant camp which is located about an hour's drive north of the city center  What make this elephant camp so special and different from others? 
The answer is they has an elephant show, which includes elephant playing football and painting. I also went for an hour elephant rides. We are also allow to feed the elephants by purchasing the bananas or sugar canes sold in the elephant camp which cost about 20 baht for a small packet. 
I love riding an elephant! The best part is where the elephants will also cross a river located in the elephant camp. 

       
     ( Pictures of my cousin sister and her daughter riding the elephant across the river) 

(Pictures that the elephant drawn! Even an elephant knew how to write her own name , OMG) 


Next ~!!! The thing that you must try in Chiang Mai is their massage~~ 
I went massaging for like 6-7 times in my 5 days 4 night trip. Every massage only cost around 180-200 baht for foot massage and 300 baht for body massage. Quite cheap if convert to Malaysian ringgit~ About RM 18 - 20 for an hour foot massage. 
The massage that I like the most is on my last day before going back to Malaysia~ hahahahaha... An unforgettable experience in Chiang Mai...
There's a night market located nearby my hotel~ Every night I will spending my time at the night market shopping and buying some local authentic product from Chiang Mai. Shopping in Thailand is always cheap. There is also mall called Central Airport Plaza where the famous Thailand department store Robinson is located. 
Bought some clothes from Robinson and the Dorothy Perkins there. Its cheaper compare to Malaysia + they are having sales that time. Summer :P
I remember which hotel I am staying~ 
Its called Imperial Mae Ping hotel. The hotel that Theresa Tang stay before passing away in Chiang Mai. Most of the tourist staying at this hotel would be curious~ What kind of room is she staying actually. hahahahahahahahaha. 

               ( The Imperial Rama Hotel that I stayed for 5 days 4 nights :) ))))


(Specialty of Chiang Mai ; the big umbrella made from local paper) 



                      (One of the best drawing I found in the traditional village at Chiang Mai)


The picture above is taken when I visit the Karen Long Neck Village. Look at how they put the brass coil along their neck for such a long time. Ignore my smiling face LOL. I look weird in that picture! They are known as Kayan People or Karenni, a Tibeto-Burma ethnic minority of Burma (Myanmmar is their modern name). 
You must be wondering why do they exist in Thailand when they are Burmese. It actually happen in the late 1980s and early 1990s when conflict happen at the military regime in Burma and this cause many Kayan tribes fled to the Northen Thai area. The reason why they still stay in Northen Thai because this place has already became a tourist site where they can earn money when they tourist pay them a visit and by selling the handmade souvenir. 


Overall, trip to Chiang Mai was an unforgettable trip and I am happy since this is my very first time visiting Thailand. I would love to explore more of Thailand in the future. It's reasonably cheap if you travel further away from Bangkok and Chiang Mai is definitely one of the greatest place to visit in Thailand. 
Till next time. 



2 comments:

  1. chiangmai holiday Imagine falling asleep to the symphony of frogs and crickets, then waking up to the sounds of birds chirping. You find yourself cuddled up in the folds of white linen, in the centre of a majestic bed. Looking out the window, you see the sun peeking over the horizon, whilst the fog over the lake gradually rolls back to reveal the glimmering water's surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattaya is the largest and most important cities in Northern Thailand. There are a number of attractions here.
    Tour Pattaya

    ReplyDelete